Accessibility statement for Democracy.nelincs.gov.uk
This accessibility statement applies to https://democracy.nelincs.gov.uk/meetings/
This website is run by North East Lincolnshire Council (NELC) and We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
How accessible this website is:
This site is partially-compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Level AA
We know many parts of this website are not accessible, as the plug-in we use for the calendar functionality
- The date picker incorrectly communicates the selected date as opposed to the focused date, to assistive technologies, such as screen readers
- Links have a contrast ratio of 3.97:1 and they should be 4.5:1
- Some controls, such as the search input have a contrast ratio lower than 3:1
- The date picker is not fully operable with a keyboard
- Aria-labels have overwritten the visible name
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
Call: 01472 313131
Address: NE Lincs Council Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU
The Council will consider your request and get back to you in 5 working days.
The Council is always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think the Council is not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: Digital-Inclusion@nelincs.gov.uk
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how the Council responds to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Council offices have audio induction loops and this facility is available at: North East Lincolnshire Council, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Find out how to contact us North East Lincs Council – Contact us
The Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is not compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard. The non-compliances are listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations:
- When navigating through the date picker’s day fields a screen reader will always read out the current date, as opposed to the date that has keyboard focus, this fails success criterion (SC) 1.3.1 Info and Relationships – Level A
- The images that provide instructions to watch a meeting have text that does not have a sufficient contrast against their background and links have a contrast ratio of 3.97:1, where it should be 4.5:1, this fails SC 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum) – Level AA
- Controls within the date picker have a contrast ratio of 1.97:1 where they should be 3:1, this fails SC 1.4.1 Non-text Contrast – Level AA
- Controls within the date picker, to skip months/years are not accessible with a keyboard, this fails SC 2.1.1 Keyboard – Level A
- The plugin we used for the calendar functionality uses aria labels that are not the same as the visible label, this fails SC 2.5.3 Label in Name – Level A
- The list view and calendar view buttons are missing a role or type, pages have 2 <main> element and the month view has <h3> tags as children of button elements, this fails SC 4.1.1 Parsing – Level A
- The date picker does not communicate state (expanded or collapsed) to the accessibility tree and this fails SC 4.1.2 Name, Rold, Value
- Alerts do not use ARIA correctly, so they are not announced with a screen reader, this fails SC 4.1.3 Status Messages – Level A
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
All PDFs and other office file formats that were published before 23 September 2018 are not in the scope of the regulations, however, we will review all attachments where possible and replace with HTML as part of our continuous improvement process across our digital portfolio. Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Videos that were published before 23 September 2020 do not have captions and an audio description. Any new videos will only be published with these features, in order to provide pre-recorded media that can be accessed by everybody.
What the Council is doing to improve accessibility
The council is currently evaluating several other tools that offer similar functionality, but with either accessible features or where our development team can change the source code, without risk of losing any improvements when installing fundamental security updates.
As soon as we have identified a tool that can be used that passes accessibility requirements, we will install the plugin and update this statement accordingly.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 10 November 2020 It was last reviewed on 10 November 2020.
This website was last tested on 23 September 2020. The test was carried out by a member of our Web Team.
The site will undergo a further test after our Web Development team replace the plugin.
We used this approach to deciding on a sample of pages to test.
Core pages, such as:
- Calendar page https://democracy.nelincs.gov.uk/meetings/
- Example Event Page (Recent) https://democracy.nelincs.gov.uk/meetings/planning-committee-57/
- Guide to Joining a Meeting page https://democracy.nelincs.gov.uk/guide-to-joining-a-virtual-council-meeting/
- Example Event Page (older) https://democracy.nelincs.gov.uk/meetings/tourism-and-visitor-ecomony-scrutiny-panel/
- Example Category page https://democracy.nelincs.gov.uk/meetings/category/scrutiny-panel-tourism-and-visitor-economy/